|Neighborhoods||Stanton Heights, Upper Lawrenceville|
|Origin of name||Sequential numbering up the Allegheny River, with a gap for streets never built|
62nd Street is best known for the 62nd Street Bridge, officially the Senator Robert D. Fleming Bridge, opened (fittingly) in 1962. The actual street leads under the bridge from Butler Street. According to the online map from the Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, 62nd Street also includes a very short segment on the other side of Butler.
A committee to build a bridge near Sharpsburg met at the house of William Larimer on July 28, 1838. A bridge across the Allegheny River at this point, leading to Etna and Sharpsburg on the north bank, appears in the 1862 map of S. N. and F. W. Beers.
The segment of 62nd Street on the south side of Butler Street appears, unlabeled, in the 1882 Hopkins atlas as part of a plan of lots laid out by "Miss E. Gallahue." A city ordinance from 1894, authorizing the construction of a sewer on the street, called it "Sixty-second street." The street is labeled "62nd St." in the 1904 edition of the Hopkins atlas.
- City of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, GIS Division. view source] pgh-city-planning-map . Linked from . [
- Joseph A. Borkowski. Miscellaneous History of Lawrenceville, p. 95. 1989. [view source] borkowski
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny, plate 22. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance authorizing the construction of a sewer on Sixty-second street, and on the road leading from Butler street to the Sharpsburg bridge, and through or over private properties of James McLain et al., from O'Brien street to the Allegheny river, with a branch sewer on Butler street, from the change of grade west of Sixty-second street to Sixty-second street." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1894, no. 84. Passed June 11, 1894; approved June 14, 1894. Ordinance Book 9, p. 575. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1894–5, appendix, p. 24, J. M. Kelly Printing Co., Pittsburgh (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1894). Reprinted in the Pittsburg Press, June 25, 1894, [p. 7] (Newspapers.com 141557012), June 26, [p. 5] (Newspapers.com 141557085), and June 27, [p. 6] (Newspapers.com 141557194). [view source] ordinance-1894-84
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 2, plate 35. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. view source] hopkins-1904-vol-2 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
|Numbered streets and avenues|