From Pittsburgh Streets
|Neighborhoods||Stanton Heights, Upper Lawrenceville|
|Origin of name||Sequential numbering up the Allegheny River|
54th Street was opened by a city ordinance in 1875.
- "An ordinance authorizing the opening of Fifty-fourth street from Butler street to McCandless avenue." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1875, no. 135. Passed Dec. 6, 1875; approved Dec. 10, 1875. Ordinance Book 4, p. 165. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select & Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh for the year 1875, p. 219, Herald Printing Company, Pittsburgh, 1876 (Google Books QblEAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1875). [view source] ordinance-1875-135
|Numbered streets and avenues|