|Neighborhoods||Lower Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Strip District|
|Origin of name||Sequential numbering up the Allegheny River|
|Boundary Street (until 1868)|
|Origin of name||Boundary of Lawrenceville|
The original name of 33rd Street was Boundary Street, because it was the southwestern boundary of the Borough of Lawrenceville. (Bruce S. Cridlebaugh describes it as the boundary of Pittsburgh after the annexation of Bayardstown.) It is still the official boundary between the Strip District and Lawrenceville.
Today the name Boundary Street is that of a street in Junction Hollow.
- Edward M. McKeever. "Earlier Lawrenceville." Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, vol. 5, no. 4, Oct. 1922, pp. 277–286. view source] mckeever . [
- Bruce S. Cridlebaugh. "Field notes: Changing Pittsburgh street names—from downtown to Lawrenceville." Pghbridges.com: Bridges & tunnels of Allegheny County & Pittsburgh, PA, Feb. 9, 2000. view source] cridlebaugh . [
- Pittsburgh Neighborhoods. Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, GIS Division. view source] pgh-nbhds-map . Linked from . [
- Sarah H. Killikelly. The History of Pittsburgh: Its rise and progress, p. 534. B. C. & Gordon Montgomery Co., Pittsburgh, 1906. DonsList.net HistPgh1909M; Google Books kXmloex-vr8C, poRU0YjqrzsC; HathiTrust 100122020; Historic Pittsburgh 00adc8925m; Internet Archive historyofpittsbu00kill, historypittsbur00killgoog. [view source] killikelly
- "An ordinance changing the names of streets." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1868. Passed Aug. 31, 1868. In The Municipal Record: Containing the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh: 1868, Pittsburgh Daily Commercial, Pittsburgh (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1868_20200904_2014). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Gazette, Sept. 2, 1868, p. 5 (Newspapers.com 86347563), Sept. 3, p. 3 (Newspapers.com 86347623), and Sept. 4, p. 3 (Newspapers.com 86347714). [view source] ordinance-1868-name-changes
- George H. Thurston and J. F. Diffenbacher. Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny for 1876–7: Embracing a general directory of the residences of citizens, full classified business directory, register of public institutions, benevolent societies and city governments, directory of the streets, secret societies, schools and churches. Thurston & Diffenbacher, Pittsburgh, 1876, p. 11. Google Books 8dkCAAAAYAAJ; Historic Pittsburgh 31735038288480. [view source] thurston-diffenbacher-1876
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny, plates 7, 10. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the name of Thirty-third street, between Ruthven street and Herron avenue, to 'Herron avenue.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1902, no. 556. Passed Mar. 10, 1902; approved Mar. 11, 1902. Ordinance Book 14, p. 424. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select Council of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1901–1902, appendix, p. 213, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1902 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecordselect1901). [view source] ordinance-1902-556
|Numbered streets and avenues|