|Neighborhoods||Allegheny West, North Shore|
|Origin of name||Scotland|
|School Street (until 1910)|
|Origin of name||First Ward Public School House|
This street appears, unlabeled, in the 1830 map of Jean Barbeau and Lewis Keyon. In the 1852 map of R. E. McGowin and the 1855 map of J. H. Colton it is labeled as part of Bank Lane (today Martindale Street), despite crossing that lane at right angles. By 1862, it had become known as School Street. This name referred to the First Ward Public School House, which stood at the northwest corner of School Street and Rebecca Street (today Reedsdale Street).
In 1910, three years after the annexation of Allegheny into the city of Pittsburgh, over 900 streets were renamed to fix duplicates, and School Street was changed to Scotland Street. Bob Regan includes "Scotland" in a list of streets named for countries.
The street signs on Reedsdale Street say "Scotland Ave," but I can find no record of an official change making this street an avenue. The street sign at Martindale Street says "Scotland St."
- School Street, for other streets that have had that name
- Jean Barbeau and Lewis Keyon. Map of Pittsburgh and Its Environs. N. B. Molineux, Pittsburgh, 1830. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0576; . [view source] barbeau
- R. E. McGowin. Map of the Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny and of the Boroughs of South-Pittsburgh, Birmingham, East-Birmingham, Lawrenceville, Duquesne & Manchester etc. Schuchman & Haunlein, Pittsburgh, 1852. view source] mcgowin-1852 . [
- The Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny, with Parts of Adjacent Boroughs, Pennsylvania. 1855. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0089; ; 1855 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). In George W. Colton, Colton's Atlas of the World: Illustrating physical and political geography, J. H. Colton & Co., New York, 1856 ( ). [view source] colton
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 64. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan