|Ferry Lane (1788 – ca. 1850)|
|Origin of name||Daniel Elliott's ferry|
This street was originally Ferry Lane, named on November 28, 1788, by a resolution of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It was named for Daniel Elliott's ferry, the north landing for which was at the foot of the lane. The same resolution established the name of the town of Allegheny; the names Federal Street, Ohio Street, Sandusky Street and Beaver Street (today West Commons); and the names of six alleys and one other lane. The names were given by a committee consisting of "Mr. Woods, Mr. Redick and Mr. Dennison."
Ferry Lane appears in the 1788 map of the "Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh" (as the North Side was originally called).
The lane is just beyond the left edge of the 1830 map of Jean Barbeau and Lewis Keyon, but that map does show the end of a diagonal road labeled "Beaver Road" which may have joined the lane near its southern end.
The name Beaver Avenue was given to the street by the early 1850s. The 1852 map of R. E. McGowin labels the street "Beaver Avenue or Ferry Lane."
- Stanwix Street, the southern half of which was originally named Ferry Street
- West Commons, originally named Beaver Street
- George T. Fleming. "Old Allegheny families are honored: Pioneer rope makers' name given to prominent North Side street: Others on the list." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, July 2, 1916, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85766180. [view source] fleming-old-allegheny
- Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson. Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, p. 6. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5. LCCN 2012047727. [view source] rooney-peterson
- "Old state body laid out town of Allegheny: Executive council in 1788 fixed lot prices and furnished names for streets and alleys: Origin of the present parks." Pittsburg Press, Dec. 1, 1907, p. 32. Newspapers.com 142120163. [view source] old-state-body
- Writers' Program of the Works [sic] Projects Administration in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Story of Old Allegheny City, 1994 reprint ed., p. 15. American Guide Series. Allegheny City Society, Pittsburgh, 1994, ISBN 1-884856-01-2. LCCN 94070104. Originally published by the Allegheny Centennial Committee, Pittsburgh, 1941. [view source] old-allegheny-city
- Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh. L. J. Richards & Co., 1863. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0084. Reprinted in Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson, Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, pp. 2–3, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5 (LCCN 2012047727). A variation entitled City of Allegheny 100 Years Ago is reprinted in Allegheny City Society, Allegheny City, 1840–1907, pp. 10–11, Images of America, Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2007, ISBN 978-0-7385-5500-3 (LCCN 2007927944). [view source] reserve-tract
- Jean Barbeau and Lewis Keyon. Map of Pittsburgh and Its Environs. N. B. Molineux, Pittsburgh, 1830. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0576; . [view source] barbeau
- R. E. McGowin. Map of the Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny and of the Boroughs of South-Pittsburgh, Birmingham, East-Birmingham, Lawrenceville, Duquesne & Manchester etc. Schuchman & Haunlein, Pittsburgh, 1852. view source] mcgowin-1852 . [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715