|Neighborhoods||Allegheny Center, Central Northside, Fineview, North Shore|
|Origin of name||Sandusky River and Sandusky Bay|
Sandusky Street was named on November 28, 1788, by a resolution of the Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The same resolution established the name of the town of Allegheny; the names Federal Street, Ohio Street, and Beaver Street (now West Commons); and the names of six alleys and two lanes. The names were given by a committee consisting of "Mr. Woods, Mr. Redick and Mr. Dennison." On December 12, 1788, additional names of lanes were adopted; Sandusky Lane ran along the same line as Sandusky Street down to the bank of the Allegheny River. Sandusky Street and Sandusky Lane appear in the 1788 map of the "Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh" (as the North Side was originally called).
Various sources say that Sandusky Street gets its name from a Native American word meaning "cool water." The name was originally applied to the area of the Sandusky River and Sandusky Bay in Ohio, for which the city of Sandusky, Ohio, was later named. But Sandusky Street is older than the Ohio city, so it must have been named for the waterways directly. William Bright says that the name may derive from the Wyandot word sa'ndesti, meaning "water."
- "Old state body laid out town of Allegheny: Executive council in 1788 fixed lot prices and furnished names for streets and alleys: Origin of the present parks." Pittsburg Press, Dec. 1, 1907, p. 32. Newspapers.com 142120163. [view source] old-state-body
- Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh. L. J. Richards & Co., 1863. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0084. Reprinted in Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson, Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, pp. 2–3, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5 (LCCN 2012047727). A variation entitled City of Allegheny 100 Years Ago is reprinted in Allegheny City Society, Allegheny City, 1840–1907, pp. 10–11, Images of America, Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2007, ISBN 978-0-7385-5500-3 (LCCN 2007927944). [view source] reserve-tract
- Margaret Carlin. "How our streets got their names." Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 6, 1966, Pittsburgh's Family Magazine, p. 10. Newspapers.com 149098376. [view source] carlin
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 73. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- "Street names sketch history of city: Tribute to many pioneers dimmed by time." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 26, 1936, anniversary section IV, p. 16. Newspapers.com 88921069. [view source] street-names
- William Bright. Native American Placenames of the United States, p. 418. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 2004, ISBN 978-0-8061-3598-4. [view source] bright
- William M. Rimmel. Out of the Past. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 22, 1967, [p. 21]. Newspapers.com 88351802. [view source] rimmel-commons
- "Uncommon confusion?: Allegheny 'Loop' opens in a week." Pittsburgh Press, Nov. 26, 1967, sec. 3, p. 7. Newspapers.com 148899979. [view source] uncommon-confusion
- "Allegheny Commons Loop." Pittsburgh Press, Dec. 3, 1967, sec. 3, p. 8. Newspapers.com 148954558. [view source] allegheny-commons-loop
- "1-way loop to surround N. S. center: All right turns to speed traffic effective today." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 4, 1967, p. 26. Newspapers.com 88155232. [view source] 1-way-loop