|Neighborhoods||Morningside, Stanton Heights|
|Morningside Road (until 1881)|
A road in the approximate location of modern Morningside Avenue appears in Allegheny County maps from the 1850s and 1860s. It is labeled Morningside Road in the 1872 Hopkins atlas, including modern Mossfield Street. This name was in use at least as early as 1866.
An 1881 Pittsburgh city ordinance established the name Morningside Avenue.
The part of Morningside Avenue between Rebecca Street (today Aiken Avenue) and Mathilda Street, which had become disconnected from the rest of Morningside Avenue, was renamed Mossfield Street in 1910.
- E. H. Heastings. Map of the County of Allegheny, Pennsylvania. 1850. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0090. [view source] heastings
- Sidney & Neff and S. McRea. Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, with the Names of Property-Holders. Philadelphia, 1851. LCCN 2012592150. [view source] sidney-neff
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 61. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "Horses stolen—fifty dollars reward offered." Pittsburgh Gazette, June 13, 1866, p. 1. Newspapers.com 86354052. [view source] horses-stolen
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- The Municipal Record: Containing the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh: 1869, p. 114. Pittsburgh Daily Commercial, Pittsburgh. Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1868_20200904_2014. [view source] municipal-record-1869
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715