|Neighborhoods||Bloomfield, Central Lawrenceville, Garfield|
|Origin of name||Mathilda Gross MacConnell|
Mathilda Street is named for Mathilda Gross MacConnell, the adopted daughter of Augustus H. and Eveline Gross, who once owned much of the land from Penn Avenue to Liberty Avenue between what are now Edmond Street and Aiken Avenue (and the eponyms of nearby Gross Street and Evaline Street). After the death of Dr. Gross, the property went to his widow, and in her will she left the land to Mathilda. In the late nineteenth century, Mathilda sold many lots on both sides of Winebiddle Street. She donated Friendship Park to the city.
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "In fee simple: The decision on the provision of the will of Mrs. Gross: East Enders are interested: The supreme court now holds there was no separate use trust intended—an explanation why the previous decision was reversed." Pittsburgh Press, July 14, 1892, [p. 6]. Newspapers.com 141473689. [view source] in-fee-simple
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Atlas of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 4. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-vol-4 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- History of Pittsburgh and Environs, vol. 3, p. 641. American Historical Society, New York and Chicago, 1922. Google Books k_kMAAAAYAAJ, QMtaAAAAYAAJ; HathiTrust 011262563; Internet Archive historyofpittsbu03flem. [view source] history-pgh-environs-3