|Neighborhoods||Glen Hazel, Hazelwood|
|Anna Street (1868–1881)|
|Origin of name||Anna Blair, daughter of Thomas S. Blair|
|Allegheny Street (1881–1910)|
The story of this street begins with Anna Street, the southeasternmost street in the plan of Glenwood laid out by Thomas S. Blair in 1868. The plan includes Virginia Street and Dike Street, named for Blair's wife Virginia, whose maiden name was Dike; and George Street, Anna Street, and Tom Street, named for Blair's children.
In 1881, a Pittsburgh ordinance established the names of all streets in the city, renaming many of them in order to fix duplicates; Anna Street was renamed Allegheny Street.
Glenwood was entirely south of what is now Second Avenue. By 1904 a street had been laid out north of Second Avenue, approximately opposite Allegheny Street; this is what became modern Alluvian Street. This street was apparently considered part of Allegheny Street.
In 1910, three years after the annexation of Allegheny City, over 900 streets were renamed in order to fix duplicates; Allegheny Street conflicted with Allegheny Avenue on the North Side, so it was renamed Alluvian Street. The ordinance actually renamed "Allegheny, from Second av. to prop. line," which seems to have referred only to the segment north of Second Avenue, inadvertently omitting the part of the street to the south. To fix this oversight, another ordinance the next year changed the name of "Allegheny, from Second avenue to Dyke [sic]," to Alluvian Street.
The name "Alluvian" was highlighted in a 1909 article in the Pittsburgh Gazette Times, whose author felt many of the proposed new street names were ridiculous.
Only a stub of the original street south of Second Avenue exists today, but it is not signed. The online map from the Department of City Planning confirms that it is part of Alluvian Street.
- Allegheny Street, for other streets that have had that name
- "Amended plan of Glenwood (by Thos. S. Blair, Trustee &): 23rd Ward formerly Peebles Tp." Recorded Nov. 30, 1868, Plan Book 3, p. 269. Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds 3778716. [view source] glenwood-plan
- Samuel T. Wiley and W. Scott Garner, eds. Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Blair County, Pennsylvania, p. 166. Gresham Publishing Co., Philadelphia, Richmond, Ind., and Chicago, 1892. Google Books RtEwAQAAMAAJ; HathiTrust 011262514; Internet Archive biographicalport00wile_1. [view source] cyclopedia-blair
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 1, plates 30, 38. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. view source] hopkins-1904-vol-1 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Atlas of Greater Pittsburgh, plate 24. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1910. view source] hopkins-1910 ; 1910 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain streets, avenues and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1911, no. 558. Passed Feb. 14, 1911; approved Feb. 16, 1911. Ordinance Book 22, p. 498. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1910–1911, appendix, pp. 322–323, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1911 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1910). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Mar. 10, 1911, p. 13 (Newspapers.com 86499788), and Mar. 11, p. 13 (Newspapers.com 86499822). [view source] ordinance-1911-558
- "Making a joke of street names: Clerks assigned to wipe out duplications choose any old titles: Hippo, Tumbo, Fortitude!: Also Divinity, Sunday, Starch, Parkhurst, Chianti, Wry and Prudence." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, July 28, 1909, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85879633. [view source] making-a-joke
- City of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, GIS Division. view source] pgh-city-planning-map . Linked from . [