|Second Street (until ca. 1880)|
|Origin of name||Sequential numbering in plan of lots|
The portion of Adelphia Street between about Hawthorne Court and Edisto Street was originally named Second Street. The other two numbered streets in this small subdivision were First Street to the north (which later became part of Livingston Street, forming an L shape, but which no longer exists) and Third Street to the south (today Trinity Street). These numbered streets were renamed by 1881.
The portion of Adelphia Street east of Edisto Street was called Adelphia Street from the beginning. An 1895 ordinance approving streets lists "Adelphia street, (part formerly Second Street), from property line to Morningside avenue, at widths of thirty (30) and fifty (50) feet."
- Second Street (disambiguation), for other streets that have had this name
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- "An ordinance approving, confirming and locating certain streets, avenues and alleys, in the City of Pittsburgh, as laid out in a certain plan known as a Plan of Part of the Eighteenth and Nineteenth wards, approved by Councils, November 14, 1887, the names of said streets, avenues and alleys being as follows, to wit: Amber street, Baum street, three unnamed alleys, Coral street, Onyx street, Conrad street [now Pacific avenue], Herman street [now Atlantic avenue], Marietta street [now Mignonette street], Penn avenue, Kirkwood street, Broad street, Harvard street, Rural street, Rippey street, Margaretta street, Black street, Hays street, Stanton avenue, Jackson street, McCully street, Dunn [now Hampton street], Broadway [now Bryant street], Callowhill street, Bothwell street, Bunker Hill street, Cromwell street, Brilliant street, Martha street, Park [now President alley], George [now Greenwood street], Vine [now Venango alley], Bishop street, Palmer alley, Scott [now Standish street], Catherine alley [now Conewago alley], Maria [now Manhattan street], Leon alley, Adelphia street, Sarah [now Syracuse street], Gael alley, Summit [now Witherspoon street], Java alley, Baker street, Ballard alley, Seely street, Butler street, Autumn street, Hiland [now Highland avenue], Euclid street, St. Clair street, Mellon street, Negley [now Portland street], Negley avenue, Pacific street, Fairmount street, Wayne street, Pendleton street, Cameron street, Lloyd street, Mirage street, Cumberland street, O'Connell street, Bayne street, Maddock [now McKenzie street], Haights street, Ann [now Antietam street], Garrison [now Gallatin street], unnamed alley, from Maria [now Manhattan street], to Leon alley, Chislett street, Swan alley, Jancy street, Snow alley, Morningside avenue, Kalamazoo alley, Rebecca street, Elgin street, Jamaica alley, El Paso street, Nolo alley, Ursina avenue, Hawthorn street, McKee street, Woodbine street, Third [now Trinity street], Dragoon alley, Second [now Adelphia street], First [now Livingstone street], Marietta street, East [now Elmwood street]." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1895, no. 399. Passed Mar. 25, 1895; approved Mar. 30, 1895. Ordinance Book 10, p. 245. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1894–5, appendix, pp. 141–143, J. M. Kelly Printing Co., Pittsburgh (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1894). Reprinted in the Pittsburg Press, Apr. 19, 1895, p. 9 (Newspapers.com 141563193), Apr. 20, p. 2 (Newspapers.com 141563230), and Apr. 22, p. 7 (Newspapers.com 141563445). [view source] ordinance-1895-399