|Origin of name||"The Union," i.e., the United States|
|Union Avenue (until 1969)|
|Origin of name||United States|
Union Place runs along the west side of what was originally the East Common, part of the open pasture that surrounded the town of Allegheny (today part of Allegheny Commons Park). By 1864 two streets had been established through the East Common: Union Avenue on the west side and Cedar Avenue on the east.
The name Union probably refers to the United States. In 1923, Annie Clark Miller wrote, "The street names Liberty, Union, Congress, Federal, Penn and Webster are reminiscent of the patriotic spirit of the early times." In 1952, Gilbert Love, citing notes written by James S. West in 1885, said, "If you've ever wondered how the North Side's main thoroughfare got the name Federal Street be advised that there's nothing much to it. The citizenry just named it for the Federal Government in an outburst of patriotic enthusiasm. Union Avenue got its name the same way."
- Union Avenue, for other streets that have had that name
- Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh. L. J. Richards & Co., 1863. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0084. Reprinted in Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson, Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, pp. 2–3, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5 (LCCN 2012047727). A variation entitled City of Allegheny 100 Years Ago is reprinted in Allegheny City Society, Allegheny City, 1840–1907, pp. 10–11, Images of America, Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2007, ISBN 978-0-7385-5500-3 (LCCN 2007927944). [view source] reserve-tract
- R. E. McGowin. Map of the Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny and of the Boroughs of South-Pittsburgh, Birmingham, East-Birmingham, Lawrenceville, Duquesne & Manchester etc. Schuchman & Haunlein, Pittsburgh, 1852. view source] mcgowin-1852 . [
- The Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny, with Parts of Adjacent Boroughs, Pennsylvania. 1855. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0089; ; 1855 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). In George W. Colton, Colton's Atlas of the World: Illustrating physical and political geography, J. H. Colton & Co., New York, 1856 ( ). [view source] colton
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- George H. Thurston. Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny Cities, the Adjoining Boroughs and Villages, Also, Parts of the Adjacent Townships, for 1864–'65. Geo. H. Thurston, Pittsburgh, 1864, pp. 387–388. DonsList.net PGH_ALLEGH1864_CDM; Historic Pittsburgh 05z902933s. [view source] thurston-1864
- Map of Pittsburgh and Environs: Published for the monthly magazine entitled The Iron City, a compendium of facts concerning Pittsburgh and vicinity. 1867. In The Iron City: A compendium of facts concerning Pittsburgh and vicinity, for strangers and the public generally, George W. Pittock and Kinsey McFall, Pittsburgh, 1867, following p. 132 (Internet Archive ironcitycompendi01pitt). [view source] iron-city-map
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, pp. 79, 82. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Annie Clark Miller. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923, p. 23. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill. [view source] miller
- Gilbert Love. "How names came." Pittsburgh Press, Aug. 11, 1952, p. 11. Newspapers.com 141584890. [view source] love
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues and streets in the Urban Redevelopment Area No. 12, in the Twenty-second Ward of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1969, no. 34. Passed Jan. 27, 1969; approved Jan. 30, 1969. Ordinance Book 70, p. 389. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Council of the City of Pittsburgh: For the year 1969, appendix, pp. 30–31, Park Printing, Inc., Pittsburgh (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1969). [view source] ordinance-1969-34