|Origin of name||Modification of the original name, Kirkpatrick|
|Kirkpatrick Avenue (until 1910)|
|Origin of name||Probably J. Kirkpatrick|
The rectangle that is today bounded by Sedgwick Street, California Avenue, A Street, and Union Dale Cemetery was surveyed as "out lots" numbered 243 and 244 in the 1787 survey of the "Reserve Tract" by David Redick. Each of these out lots was a square 40 perches (660 feet) on a side, containing 10 acres. They were sold at auction in 1788 to Charles Wilkins and John Irwin.:2–3 In 1872 these out lots, still undeveloped, were owned by the estate of William Robinson Jr. (see General Robinson Street) and a Kirkpatrick, probably J. Kirkpatrick who lived just to the north of out lot no. 244.:62–63
By 1882 this area had been subdivided into lots and streets had been laid out. The main east–west street was named Kirkpatrick Avenue for the former landowner. See also Kunkle Avenue, part of which was originally named Kirkpatrick Alley.
Allegheny City was annexed into the City of Pittsburgh in 1907. In 1910, over 900 streets were renamed to eliminate duplicates. To prevent confusion with Kirkpatrick Street in the Hill District, Kirkpatrick Avenue was renamed Kirkbride Street.
- Allegheny City Society. Allegheny City, 1840–1907, pp. 10–11. Images of America. Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2007, ISBN 978-0-7385-5500-3. LCCN 2007927944. [view source] allegheny-city
- "Old state body laid out town of Allegheny: Executive council in 1788 fixed lot prices and furnished names for streets and alleys: Origin of the present parks." Pittsburg Press, Dec. 1, 1907, p. 32. Newspapers.com 142120163. [view source] old-state-body
- Reserve Tract of Land Opposite Pittsburgh. L. J. Richards & Co., 1863. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0084. Reprinted in Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson, Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, pp. 2–3, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5 (LCCN 2012047727). A variation entitled City of Allegheny 100 Years Ago is reprinted in Allegheny City Society, Allegheny City, 1840–1907, pp. 10–11, Images of America, Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2007, ISBN 978-0-7385-5500-3 (LCCN 2007927944). [view source] reserve-tract
- Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson. Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5. LCCN 2012047727. [view source] rooney-peterson
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 1. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-allegheny-vol-1 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715