|Origin of name||Philippe-Thomas Chabert de Joncaire|
Joncaire Street is named for Captain Phillippe-Thomas de Joncaire, sieur de Chabert (1707–1766?). Joncaire was the commander at Fort Machault on French Creek, about midway between the present-day cities of Pittsburgh and Erie. He welcomed George Washington on his 1753 expedition to deliver a letter from Virginia lieutenant governor Robert Dinwiddie (eponym of Dinwiddie Street) to the commandant of the French forces on the Ohio, demanding that they depart. Joncaire directed Washington to his superior, Jacques Legardeur de Saint-Pierre (eponym of the former St. Pierre Street, now part of Bigelow Boulevard), who was at Fort Le Boeuf farther north.
- George T. Fleming. "History told in Pittsburgh street names: Some commemorative designations have been lost, but others are still in use to recall the story of their selection: Haphazard municipal nomenclature." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, Nov. 29, 1914, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85906737. [view source] fleming-history-told
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 69. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- George Washington. The Journal of Major George Washington: Sent by the Hon. Robert Dinwiddie, Esq; His Majesty's Lieutenant-Governor, and Commander in Chief of Virginia, to the commandant of the French forces on Ohio: To which are added, the governor's letter, and a translation of the French officer's answer. William Hunter, Williamsburg, 1754. 978-0-8229-8362-0 (HathiTrust 000564544; LCCN 55-6874). [view source] washington . An edition printed in London for T. Jefferys in 1754 is reproduced in Hugh Cleland, George Washington in the Ohio Valley, [pp. 8–42], University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 1955, ISBN