|Townsend Street (1869–1880)|
|11th Street (1880–1908)|
|Origin of name||Numbering of streets in the borough of Sheraden|
This street was originally Townsend Street, laid out in 1869 for N. P. Sawyer as part of a village he called Ashchenaz.
In 1880 Ashchenaz was re-subdivided by Andrew Patterson and renamed Sheridan (later spelled Sheraden). In this new plan, the former Townsend Street became part of 11th Street, the crookedest street in the plan. See Faust Street for more about Sheraden's formerly numbered streets.
The borough of Sheraden was annexed to the city of Pittsburgh in 1907. Its numbered streets conflicted with the numbered streets downtown and in the Strip District, so they were renamed the next year; 11th Street became Eliska Street and parts of Ladoga Street and Tuxedo Street.
- 11th Street (disambiguation), for other streets that have had that name
- "Boro of Ashchenaz plan of lots situate in Chartiers Tow'p laid out for N. P. Sawyer." Laid out June 1869; recorded Sept. 21, 1880, Plan Book 6, pp. 223–225. Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds 3779448. [view source] ashchenaz-plan
- "Sheridan: Plan of lots situated in Chartiers Twp. Allegheny County Pa." Laid out Apr. 1880; recorded May 12, 1880, Plan Book 6, pp. 212–214. Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds 3779433. [view source] sheridan-plan
- Atlas of the Vicinity of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny, Pennsylvania, plate 26. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1886. view source] hopkins-1886 ; included in the 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 11. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- Mark A. Connelly. "Sheraden Borough–Pittsburgh City 1907 Merger." Local Geohistory Project. view source] lgeo-sheraden-annexation . [
- "An ordinance changing and establishing the names of avenues, streets and alleys in the Forty-third ward (formerly the Borough of Sheraden) of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1908, no. 393. Passed July 9, 1908; approved July 13, 1908. Ordinance Book 19, p. 496. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select Council of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1907–'08–'09, appendix, pp. 210–214, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1909 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecordselect1907) and Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Common Council of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1907–'08–'09, appendix, pp. 210–214, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1909 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecordcommon1907). [view source] ordinance-1908-393