Amabell Street

From Pittsburgh Streets
Amabell Street
Neighborhood Mount Washington
Joel's Lane (until 1903)
Origin of name Joel Lewis

This street was originally named Joel's Lane.[1] This name came from Joel Lewis, who married Mary Ann Kirkpatrick, the daughter of Major Abraham Kirkpatrick, for whom Kirkpatrick Street is named. Major Kirkpatrick once owned 716 acres of land in the area, a large part of Mount Washington and Duquesne Heights, and it was then inherited by his three daughters. Shaler Street and Cowan Street were named for Major Kirkpatrick's other sons-in-law.[2]

Joel's Lane was renamed Amabell Street in 1903.[3]


  1. Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882.; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( [view source]hopkins-1882
  2. George T. Fleming. "History recalled by street names: Stanwix brings to mind many important happenings in the early days of the Western Pennsylvania settlement." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, Dec. 6, 1914, sec. 2, p. 8. 85907599. [view source]fleming-history-recalled
  3. "An ordinance changing the name of Joel's lane, between Grandview avenue and Omaha street, to Amabell street." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1903, no. 326. Passed Dec. 29, 1902; approved Jan. 5, 1903. Ordinance Book 15, p. 69. Reprinted in the Pittsburg Press, Jan. 16, 1903, p. 14 ( 141921940), Jan. 17, p. 4 ( 141922204), and Jan. 19, p. 9 ( 141924087); and in the Pittsburg Post, Jan. 19, 1903, p. 8 ( 86386810), and Jan. 21, p. 4 ( 86386996). [view source]ordinance-1903-326