|Wellesley Avenue (until 1910)|
|Origin of name||Wellesley College|
This street appears as Wellesley Avenue in the 1910 Hopkins atlas as part of the Brighton Heights Plan, which was laid out on both sides of Davis Avenue. It was named for Wellesley College. All of the streets in this plan that were not extensions of existing streets were given academic names: Academy Lane (today Acacia Lane), Amherst Avenue, Bryn Mawr Avenue (today Diploma Street), College Avenue (today Campus Street and Purdue Street), Cornell Avenue (today Cornell Street), Harvard Circle, Princeton Road (today Pemberton Street), Rugby Alley (today Aquatic Way), Stanford Road, Vassar Lane (today Lois Way), and West Point Avenue.
- Atlas of Greater Pittsburgh, plate 41. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1910. view source] hopkins-1910 ; 1910 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715