|Pitt Street (until 1905)|
Bob Regan includes "Phoenix" in a list of streets named for cities, and it is possible that it is named for Phoenix, Arizona. However, in the first years of the 20th century, fewer than 10,000 people lived in the capital of the Arizona Territory. It seems more likely that the street is named for the mythical bird. "Phoenix" was a popular name for businesses: the 1905 Pittsburgh directory lists eight businesses by that name[a] (in addition to three people[b]).
- Pitt Street, for other streets that have had that name
- Phoenix Accident & Sick Benefit Association, Phoenix Cork Company, Phoenix Engraving Company, Phoenix Furnace Company, Phoenix Machine Company, Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Company, Phoenix Roll Works, and Phoenix Steel Construction Company.
- Isaac Phoenix, laborer; John L. Phoenix, teacher; and Luther Phoenix, laborer.
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 110. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the Southern Vicinity of Pittsburgh, Penna., plate 12. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1896. view source] hopkins-1896 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing and establishing the names of avenues, streets and alleys in the Thirty-ninth ward of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1905, no. 60. Passed May 15, 1905; approved May 17, 1905. Ordinance Book 17, p. 61. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the year 1905–1906, appendix, pp. 18–20, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1906 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1905). [view source] ordinance-1905-60
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 65. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- R. L. Polk & Co. and R. L. Dudley. Pittsburgh and Allegheny Directory, 1905, fiftieth annual issue. R. L. Polk & Co. and R. L. Dudley, Pittsburgh, 1905, p. 1229. DonsList.net Pgh1905M; Historic Pittsburgh 31735055723393. [view source] polk-1905