|Main Street (until 1930)|
|Neel Avenue (until 1930)|
The part of McElhinny Avenue east of Mifflin Road was originally named Main Street, and the part west of Mifflin Road was Neel Avenue. When Lincoln Place was annexed into the City of Pittsburgh in 1929, the name Main Street conflicted with Main Street in Lawrenceville, so both parts were changed to McElhinny Avenue by a city ordinance the following year. (The western end, west of Dellaglen Avenue, was originally Neel Alley and was renamed McElhinny Way, but today it seems to be just part of McElhinny Avenue.)
Fredanna Street was originally named McElhinny Avenue before it was renamed by the same ordinance.
- Interboro Avenue, which was also originally named Main Street (and still is in Munhall)
- Main Street (disambiguation), for other streets that have had this name
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, roads, alleys and ways in the 31st Ward of the City of Pittsburgh (formerly a portion of Mifflin Township)." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1930, no. 100. Passed Mar. 24, 1930; approved Mar. 31, 1930. Ordinance Book 42, p. 388. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Apr. 7, 1930, p. 27 (Newspapers.com 88824970), and Apr. 8, p. 31 (Newspapers.com 88825039). [view source] ordinance-1930-100