|Juniata Street (until 1910)|
|Brashear Street (1910–1927)|
|Origin of name||John Brashear|
Juniata is the name of several places in central Pennsylvania, including the Juniata River and Juniata County. According to William Bright, the name of Juniata County comes from the Seneca name Tyunayate, meaning "projecting rock." Annie Clark Miller includes "Juanita" in a list of street names of Native American origin; presumably this is an error for Juniata.
The original name of this street was Juniata Street, and it was planned to be a continuous street from Hastings Street past Braddock Avenue to the city line at Peebles Street. However, only three segments were ever built: today's Juniata Place, Sleeth Place, and Brashear Street. Tuscarora Street is Juniata's sister street; it was also planned to run this whole length between Juniata Street and Penn Avenue, but only the easternmost portion was built.
In 1910, over 900 streets were renamed to eliminate duplicates. There is a different Juniata Street in Manchester, and so the Juniata Street in Point Breeze (the whole length) was renamed Brashear Street. The western segment became Juniata again in 1927 when it was renamed Juniata Place.
- Juniata Street (disambiguation), for other streets that have had that name
- William Bright. Native American Placenames of the United States, p. 193. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 2004, ISBN 978-0-8061-3598-4. [view source] bright
- Annie Clark Miller. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923, p. 8. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill. [view source] miller
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 1. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. view source] hopkins-1904-vol-1 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain streets and ways in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1927, no. 392. Passed May 9, 1927; approved May 12, 1927. Ordinance Book 38, p. 619. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, May 19, 1927, p. 23 (Newspapers.com 88715306), and May 20, p. 19 (Newspapers.com 88715326). [view source] ordinance-1927-392