Hot Metal Street
|Hot Metal Street|
|Neighborhood||South Side Flats|
|Origin of name||Hot Metal Bridge, used to carry molten iron across the Monongahela River|
Hot Metal Street is the South Side connection of the Hot Metal Bridge. The bridge, built in 1900, originally carried molten iron in specialized rail cars from the blast furnaces of the Jones & Laughlin Steel Company on the north side of the Monongahela to the open-hearth furnaces on the south side. During the Second World War, the metal crossing the bridge represented 15 percent of the total steelmaking capacity of the United States. The bridge was reopened to vehicular traffic in 2000.
- Joe Grata. "Bridge has long, important history." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 24, 2000, p. B-1. Newspapers.com 91106811. . [view source] grata-bridge
- Joe Grata. "Span links past, future: Hot Metal Bridge opens." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, June 24, 2000, pp. B-1, B-2. Newspapers.com 91106811, 91106820. . [view source] grata-span
- Lillian Thomas. "City plays the name game." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mar. 26, 2001, pp. C-5, C-8. Newspapers.com 90410524, 90410540. [view source] thomas-city