|Neighborhoods||Bloomfield, East Liberty, Friendship|
|Origin of name||Friendship, the home of Dr. Augustus H. and Eveline Gross|
|Winebiddle Street (until 1881)|
|Origin of name||Philip or Conrad Winebiddle|
The segment of modern Friendship Avenue between Penn Avenue and Pearl Street is drawn with dotted lines in the 1851 map of Sidney & Neff and S. McRea, and it is labeled just "Street" in the 1852 map of R. E. McGowin.
In the 1872 Hopkins atlas, that segment is labeled Winebiddle Street.:55 Philip Winebiddle and Conrad Winebiddle owned land at the two ends of the street; the street was probably named for one or both of them. Modern Winebiddle Street is labeled "Winebiddle Avenue" in this atlas.:63
The remaining part of the street, between Elm Street (today Edmond Street) and Centre Avenue, is labeled Friendship Avenue.:63 It is named for Friendship, the home of Dr. Augustus H. and Eveline Gross (for whom Gross Street and Evaline Street are named).
Winebiddle Street was made part of Friendship Avenue in 1881 by an ordinance that established the names of all streets in the city of Pittsburgh.
- Sidney & Neff and S. McRea. Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, with the Names of Property-Holders. Philadelphia, 1851. LCCN 2012592150. [view source] sidney-neff
- R. E. McGowin. Map of the Cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny and of the Boroughs of South-Pittsburgh, Birmingham, East-Birmingham, Lawrenceville, Duquesne & Manchester etc. Schuchman & Haunlein, Pittsburgh, 1852. view source] mcgowin-1852 . [
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33