|Origin of name||Perhaps Ralph Waldo Emerson|
|Centre Street (1870s?)|
|Emerald Street (until 1881)|
|Evans Avenue (until 1881)|
The portion of Emerson Street north of Walnut Street was originally called Centre Street or Emerald Street, and the part south of Walnut was originally Evans Avenue. The name Emerson Street was established by a city ordinance in 1881.
Bob Regan includes "Emerson" in a list of streets named for noted historical people, but unfortunately gives no further details. The street may have been named for Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882), American essayist.
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny, plate 18. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 63. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan