Columbia Place appears in the 1890 Hopkins atlas. The 1907 and 1910 Hopkins atlases label the short segment perpendicular to Irwin Avenue (today Brighton Road) as Columbia Way, but a 1910 city ordinance establishing the names of all streets in Pittsburgh listed only "Columbia pl., from Irwin av. to O'Hern, 25th wd."
Bob Regan includes "Columbia" in a list of streets with college-related names, implying that it is named for Columbia University. That is possible, but Columbia is a very common name, and there is no evidence that this street is named for the university in particular.
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 1, plate 4. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-allegheny-vol-1 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 1, plate 12. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1907. view source] hopkins-1907-allegheny-vol-1 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Atlas of Greater Pittsburgh, plate 37. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1910. view source] hopkins-1910 ; 1910 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance establishing the names of the avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 716. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 359. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 328–381, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 29, 1910, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616256, 86616285, 86616314, 86616333, 86616343), and Apr. 30, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616643, 86616672, 86616694, 86616726, 86616748). [view source] ordinance-1910-716
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 66. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan