|Neighborhoods||Allegheny Center, East Allegheny, North Shore|
|Origin of name||William Anderson|
Anderson Street is named for Major William Anderson, an officer in the American Revolution. Ninth Street, directly across the Allegheny River, was officially part of Anderson Street from 1910 to 1915.
George T. Fleming, in a 1916 Post-Gazette column about the early days of the city, implies instead that Anderson Street is named for Paul Anderson, one of the original members of the Pittsburgh common council. This is unlikely, as Anderson Street was in Allegheny City (not Pittsburgh) until its annexation in 1907.
- Annie Clark Miller. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923, p. 27. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill. [view source] miller
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 62. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- "Street names sketch history of city: Tribute to many pioneers dimmed by time." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 26, 1936, anniversary section IV, p. 16. Newspapers.com 88921069. [view source] street-names
- George T. Fleming. "Growth of city in century is great: Celebration of charter anniversary directs attention to progress made: Noteworthy events." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, Mar. 12, 1916, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85766545. [view source] fleming-growth