|Origin of name||Probably Xenia, Ohio|
Xenia Alley first appeared in Diffenbacher's 1882 city directory, which says it ran from Shetland Street (now Shetland Avenue) to Renfrew Street. In the 1890 Hopkins atlas it extends past Renfrew Street to Vermillion Alley (now gone). There seems to be no record of the source of its name, but it must come directly or indirectly from the ancient Greek ξενία, xenía, meaning "hospitality." It is likely that the alley was named for Xenia, Ohio, which is by far the most common meaning of the name Xenia in 19th-century Pittsburgh newspapers. Xenia was a rail hub, and the main line from Pittsburgh to St. Louis ran through it. Compare Delray Street, which may have also have been named for an important railroad city.
Xenia Alley became Xenia Way in 1914, when a city ordinance changed all alleys to ways.
- J. F. Diffenbacher. J. F. Diffenbacher's Directory of Pittsburgh & Allegheny Cities for 1882–'83: Embracing a general directory of residences of citizens, full classified business directory, register of public institutions, benevolent societies, and city government; directory of the streets, secret societies, schools and churches, twenty-sixth [sic] annual issue. Diffenbacher & Thurston, Pittsburgh, 1882. Historic Pittsburgh 31735051650889. [view source] diffenbacher-1882
- Atlas of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-vol-3 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source] ordinance-1914-402