Umpire Way

From Pittsburgh Streets
Umpire Way
Neighborhood Central Lawrenceville
Umpire Alley (until 1914)

This alley was laid out in 1862 in a plan of lots for Joseph Patterson, though that plan did not give it a name.[1] The name Umpire Alley was officially established by a Pittsburgh city ordinance in 1881.[2] It became Umpire Way in 1914 when another ordinance changed all alleys in the city to ways.[3]

References

  1. "Plan of lots laid out in the Borough of Lawrenceville for Joseph Patterson by J. Chislett Jr." Laid out July 15, 1862; recorded Aug. 5, 1862, Plan Book 2, p. 200. Allegheny County Recorder of Deeds 3778458. [view source]patterson-1862-plan
  2. "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source]ordinance-1881-33
  3. "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source]ordinance-1914-402