|Wylie Avenue (until 1893)|
|Lincoln Avenue (until 1893)|
|Origin of name||Abraham Lincoln|
|Locust Street (until 1896)|
|Lacrosse Street (until 1934)|
This street appears in the 1876 Hopkins atlas as Wylie Avenue east of a bend in the road, which today is the intersection with California Avenue, and Lincoln Avenue west of that bend. These two avenues were together renamed Termon Avenue in 1893.
The 1876 Hopkins map shows that Lincoln Avenue ran west to Walker Avenue (today Wealth Street); past Walker Avenue was a short curved street named Locust Street that led to the bank of the Ohio River at Jacks Run. This street was still labeled Locust Street in the 1890 edition, but an Allegheny city ordinance in 1896, making it part of Termon Avenue, called it Lincoln Avenue. In 1910, three years after Allegheny was annexed to the city of Pittsburgh, an ordinance established its name as Lacrosse Street. It was again made part of Termon Avenue in 1934. This part of the street does not exist today.
- Lincoln Avenue (disambiguation) and Locust Street (disambiguation), for other streets that have had those names
- Wylie Avenue on the Hill
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 52. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1876. view source] hopkins-1876 ; included in the 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of Wylie avenue and Lincoln avenue, Eleventh ward, to Termon avenue." Allegheny city ordinance, 1893, no. 48. Passed June 15, 1893; approved June 16, 1893. Reprinted in the Pittsburg Press, June 19, 1893, [p. 10] (Newspapers.com 141534826). [view source] ordinance-1893-48
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 1, plate 20. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-allegheny-vol-1 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing and establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the city of Allegheny." Allegheny city ordinance, 1896, no. 166. Passed Mar. 19, 1896; approved Mar. 23, 1896. Reprinted in the Pittsburg Press, Mar. 31, 1896, p. 9 (Newspapers.com 141573537), and Apr. 1, [p. 6] (Newspapers.com 141573556). [view source] ordinance-1896-166
- "An ordinance establishing the names of the avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 716. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 359. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 328–381, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 29, 1910, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616256, 86616285, 86616314, 86616333, 86616343), and Apr. 30, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616643, 86616672, 86616694, 86616726, 86616748). [view source] ordinance-1910-716
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets and ways in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1934, no. 35. Passed Feb. 5, 1934; approved Feb. 9, 1934. Ordinance Book 45, p. 544. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Council of the City of Pittsburgh: For the year 1934, appendix, p. 23, City Printing Company, Pittsburgh, 1934 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1934). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Feb. 14, 1934, p. 19 (Newspapers.com 88903365). [view source] ordinance-1934-35