Television Hill Street
|Television Hill Street|
|Origin of name||Television Hill, site of the WPXI transmitter|
The block of Cemetery Street between Lanark Street and Meadville Street was renamed Television Hill Street by a City Council resolution in 1981. The name refers to Television Hill, the site of the WPXI television transmitter.
In 1953, the FM radio station WKJF began calling Duquesne Heights "Television Hill" in its broadcasts, in anticipation of adding a television station. However, WKJF-TV lasted less than a year, and its broadcasting license was sold; its modern successor is WPGH-TV. WPXI signed on the air in 1957 as WIIC, and the name "Television Hill" came to refer to its hill instead.
- "Resolution changing the name of Cemetary [sic] Lane, from Lanark Street to Meadeville [sic] Street in the Twenty-Fifth (25th) Ward of the City of Pittsburgh, to Television Hill Street." Pittsburgh city resolution, 1981, no. 624. Passed June 22, 1981; approved July 2, 1981; effective July 13, 1981. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Council of the City of Pittsburgh: For the year 1981, appendix, p. 565 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1981volA, Pghmunicipalrecord1981volB). [view source] resolution-1981-624
- Si Steinhauser. "Radio and TV: Tech students petition for TV re-hearing: School heads ban show from network." Pittsburgh Press, Mar. 25, 1953, p. 43. Newspapers.com 143033326. [view source] tech-students-petition
- City of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, GIS Division. view source] pgh-city-planning-map . Linked from . [