|Sherman Street (until 1910)|
|Origin of name||William Tecumseh Sherman|
|Irwin Place (1890–1910)|
|Origin of name||James Irwin|
The part of Sherrod Street from 44th Street to 45th Street was originally named Sherman Street for William Tecumseh Sherman (1820–1891), Union general in the American Civil War. The rest, between 42nd Street and 44th Street, was laid out later as Irwin Place and dedicated in 1890. The name is that of James Irwin, who formerly owned the land through which the street passes. The 1872 Hopkins atlas shows a chemical works on Irwin's land.
In 1910, three years after the annexation of Allegheny into the City of Pittsburgh, over 900 streets were renamed to fix duplicates. Sherman Street was renamed Sherrod Street because of duplication with Sherman Avenue on the North Side, and Irwin Place was also changed to Sherrod Street to unify the street under a single name.
- Irwin Street, for other streets that have been named Irwin
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 59. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- George T. Fleming. "Names recall Civil War heroes: Soldiers of national and local fame well commemorated in Pittsburgh: Battles also live." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, May 30, 1915, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85758872. [view source] fleming-civil-war
- "Dedication of Irwin place, from Forty-second street to Forty-fourth street." Pittsburgh city dedication, 1890, no. 173. Approved Nov. 27, 1890. Ordinance Book 7, p. 579. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select Council of the City of Pittsburgh: For the year 1890–1, p. 283, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1890–1891 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1890) and Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Common Council of the City of Pittsburgh: For the year 1890–1, p. 299, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1890–1891 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1890). [view source] dedication-1890-173
- Atlas of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3, plate 4. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-vol-3 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715