|Pleasant Alley (until 1914)|
The name Pleasant Alley was established by a city ordinance in 1881. This alley had probably been known by that name earlier, however, since this ordinance changed the name of a different Pleasant Alley to Pilot Alley (later Pilot Way), presumably to fix an existing duplication. It became Pleasant Way in 1914 when another ordinance changed all alleys to ways.
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny, plate 9. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source] ordinance-1914-402