|Woods Run Avenue (until 1922)|
|Origin of name||Woods Run, named for John Woods|
Mairdale Avenue was originally part of Woods Run Avenue. It was changed to Mairdale Avenue in 1922. The name "Mairdale" had been suggested by "a committee of women, with Mrs. L. G. Maier as spokesman," who had petitioned City Council to change the name.
- "An ordinance changing the name of Woods Run avenue, between Perrysville avenue and Oakdale avenue, to Mairdale avenue." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1922, no. 85. Passed Mar. 27, 1922; approved Mar. 29, 1922. Ordinance Book 33, p. 301. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Council of the City of Pittsburgh for the year 1922, appendix, p. 44, Kaufman Printing Company, Pittsburgh (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1922). [view source] ordinance-1922-85
- "Ordinance to open Armory street ready: Council to get plan obviating purchase of Baird estate: Cost to be $42,080." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, Mar. 16, 1922, p. 7. Newspapers.com 85409634. [view source] open-armory