|Origin of name||Perhaps William M. Kennedy|
|Imbrie Avenue (until 1910)|
|North End Avenue (until 1911)|
Kennedy Avenue appears in the 1892 Diffenbacher directory and the 1902 Hopkins atlas of Allegheny. It is perhaps named for William M. Kennedy (1844–1898), mayor of Allegheny from 1892 to 1896.
Bob Regan includes "Kennedy" in a list of streets named for noted historical people,:63 and in his "Streets of Pittsburgh" crossword puzzle "Kennedy" is clued as "35th president of the United States.":185 But the street is certainly not named for John F. Kennedy (1917–1963), who was born decades after the street was named.
Today's Kennedy Avenue was originally three different streets laid out independently: Imbrie Avenue, west of Marshall Avenue; Kennedy Avenue, between Marshall Avenue and Perrysville Avenue; and North End Avenue, east of Perrysville Avenue. In 1910, over 900 streets were renamed to fix duplicates, and both Imbrie Avenue and Kennedy Avenue were made part of North End Avenue. However, the next year the whole street (all three parts) was renamed Kennedy Avenue. A city ordinance in 1914 changed the name of North End Avenue east of Perrysville Avenue to Kennedy Avenue; this seems to have been redundant, since that had already been done by the 1911 ordinance, but perhaps there was still confusion about the names.
- J. F. Diffenbacher. J. F. Diffenbacher's Directory of Pittsburg and Allegheny Cities for 1892: Embracing a general directory of residences of citizens, full classified business directory, register of public institutions, benevolent societies, and city government; directory of the streets, secret societies, schools and churches, thirty-seventh annual issue. J. F. Diffenbacher, Pittsburgh, 1892, p. 50. Historic Pittsburgh 31735055723237. [view source] diffenbacher-1892
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 2, plates 9, 10, 15. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1902. view source] hopkins-1902-allegheny-vol-2 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Writers' Program of the Works [sic] Projects Administration in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Story of Old Allegheny City, 1994 reprint ed., p. 132. American Guide Series. Allegheny City Society, Pittsburgh, 1994, ISBN 1-884856-01-2. LCCN 94070104. Originally published by the Allegheny Centennial Committee, Pittsburgh, 1941. [view source] old-allegheny-city
- Dan Rooney and Carol Peterson. Allegheny City: A history of Pittsburgh's North Side, p. 132. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2013, ISBN 978-0-8229-4422-5. LCCN 2012047727. [view source] rooney-peterson
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 53. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1876. view source] hopkins-1876 ; included in the 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Allegheny, vol. 2, plate 18. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-allegheny-vol-2 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain streets, avenues and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1911, no. 558. Passed Feb. 14, 1911; approved Feb. 16, 1911. Ordinance Book 22, p. 498. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1910–1911, appendix, pp. 322–323, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1911 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1910). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Mar. 10, 1911, p. 13 (Newspapers.com 86499788), and Mar. 11, p. 13 (Newspapers.com 86499822). [view source] ordinance-1911-558
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 202. Passed June 16, 1914; approved June 17, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 136. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, June 23, 1914, [p. 15] (Newspapers.com 86550844). [view source] ordinance-1914-202