|Origin of name||Samuel H. Keller|
Current street signs say Kellar Street, but the correct spelling seems to be Keller. The street takes the name of Samuel H. Keller, who laid out a plan of lots on land now occupied by Children's Hospital. The name of the street is spelled Keller in early maps, in the street's 1890 dedication, in the 1910 city ordinance establishing the names of all streets in Pittsburgh, and in the city map produced by the GIS Division of the Pittsburgh Department of City Planning. On the other hand, the 1923 Hopkins atlas uses the spelling Kellar.
There is also some confusion about whether it is a street or a way. The Hopkins atlases of 1882, 1890, 1900, and 1906 call it a street, but the 1910 map labels it Keller Alley. Its 1890 dedication is explicitly ambiguous, referring to it as "Keller street (or alley)." The 1910 ordinance establishing the names of streets calls it just "Keller," implying that it is a street. If it were an alley, it would have been changed to a way by a city ordinance in 1914. It is called Kellar Way in the 1923 Hopkins atlas and Keller Way by the city's GIS map.
- Atlas of the Cities Pittsburgh and Allegheny. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1882. view source] hopkins-1882 ; 1882 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Atlas of Greater Pittsburgh. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1910. view source] hopkins-1910 ; 1910 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "The death roll: S. H. Keller." Pittsburgh Commercial Gazette, Apr. 24, 1895, p. 4. Newspapers.com 85559950. [view source] keller-obit
- Atlas of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. view source] hopkins-1890-vol-3 ; included in the 1890 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1900. view source] hopkins-1900-vol-3 . [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1906. view source] hopkins-1906-vol-3 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- J. M. Kelly. Map of Pittsburg and Allegheny, 1895: Showing parks, boulevards, cemeteries, streets, prominent industries, street railways, steam railroads, bridges, &c., and an outline map of the proposed Greater Pittsburg, issued in connection with and as part of J. M. Kelly's Hand-Book of Greater Pittsburg. J. M. Kelly Co., Pittsburgh, 1895. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0465. [view source] kelly
- "Dedication of Keller street (or alley) between Forty-second street and Forty-fourth street." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1890, no. 344. Approved Mar. 10, 1890. Ordinance Book 7, p. 358. Reprinted in the Pittsburg Dispatch, Apr. 5, 1890, p. 10 (Newspapers.com 76220106), Apr. 7, p. 7 (Newspapers.com 76220237), and Apr. 8, p. 8 (Newspapers.com 76220273); and in the Pittsburg Press, Apr. 5, 1890, [p. 4] (Newspapers.com 141343553), Apr. 7, [p. 3] (Newspapers.com 141343908), and Apr. 8, [p. 5] (Newspapers.com 141344096). [view source] ordinance-1890-344
- "An ordinance establishing the names of the avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 716. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 359. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 328–381, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 29, 1910, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616256, 86616285, 86616314, 86616333, 86616343), and Apr. 30, pp. 12–16 (Newspapers.com 86616643, 86616672, 86616694, 86616726, 86616748). [view source] ordinance-1910-716
- City of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Department of City Planning, GIS Division. view source] pgh-city-planning-map . Linked from . [
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 1. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1923. view source] hopkins-1923-vol-1 ; included in the 1923 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source] ordinance-1914-402