|Origin of name||Carnahan family|
Carnahan Road is named for the Carnahan family, who owned property on both sides of the road. The road appears in maps of Allegheny County from 1851, passing the homesteads of A. Carnahan and G. Carnahan, and 1862, passing by A. Carnahan and W. Carnahan. A. Carnahan was Alexander Carnahan, who laid out Banksville and named it in honor of his wife, Eliza Banks.
- Edmond Gaudelli. Banksville: A Pittsburgh neighborhood. 2022, ISBN 9798841655114. [view source] gaudelli
- Sidney & Neff and S. McRea. Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, with the Names of Property-Holders. Philadelphia, 1851. LCCN 2012592150. [view source] sidney-neff
- S. N. & F. W. Beers. Map of Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. Smith, Gallup & Hewitt, Philadelphia, 1862. LCCN 2012592151; 1862 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [view source] beers
- Albert W. Bloom. "Pittsburgh today made up of many villages: City a composite of 25 to 30 municipalities whose separate identities meant much years ago." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jan. 14, 1953, Daily Magazine, [p. 1]. Newspapers.com 89450362. [view source] bloom-villages
- Margaret Carlin. "How our streets got their names." Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 6, 1966, Pittsburgh's Family Magazine, p. 10. Newspapers.com 149098376. [view source] carlin
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 35. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan