|Origin of name||Hugh Henry Brackenridge|
Brackenridge Street is named for Hugh Henry Brackenridge (1748–1816), Pittsburgh lawyer and judge who was instrumental in the formation of Allegheny County and later became a justice of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
The street name was formerly spelled Breckenridge, with an E in the first syllable. Annie Clark Miller, writing in 1924, supposed that it was a corruption of Brackenridge. (So do Post-Gazette articles from 1936 and 1967, apparently copying Miller.) The spelling was corrected to Brackenridge by a city ordinance in 1934.
See also Bates Street.
- History of Pittsburgh and Environs, vol. 2. American Historical Society, New York and Chicago, 1922. Google Books 3staAAAAYAAJ, TPUMAAAAYAAJ; HathiTrust 011262563; Internet Archive historypittsbur00yorkgoog, historypittsbur02socigoog. [view source] history-pgh-environs-2
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 65. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan
- Annie Clark Miller. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923, pp. 30–32. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill. [view source] miller
- "Street names sketch history of city: Tribute to many pioneers dimmed by time." Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 26, 1936, anniversary section IV, p. 16. Newspapers.com 88921069. [view source] street-names
- James K. DeLaney. "Spectres of past haunt Pittsburgh's corner signposts: Street names 'pennants of tribute.'" Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mar. 30, 1967, [p. 41]. Newspapers.com 88235360. [view source] delaney
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, roads and ways in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1934, no. 360. Passed Dec. 17, 1934; approved Dec. 20, 1934. Ordinance Book 46, p. 261. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Dec. 26, 1934, p. 17 (Newspapers.com 90546999), and Dec. 27, p. 21 (Newspapers.com 90547053). [view source] ordinance-1934-360