|Allerton Way (until 1909)|
|Alumni Alley (1909–1914)|
This alley appears as Allerton Way in the 1905 Hopkins atlas. It was renamed Alumni Alley in 1909, after Brookline had been annexed into the city of Pittsburgh. It became Alumni Way in 1914, when an ordinance changed all alleys in the city to ways.
Bob Regan includes "Alumni" in a list of streets with college-related names.
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the Southern Vicinity of Pittsburgh, plate 16. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1905. view source] hopkins-1905 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing and establishing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth wards of the City of Pittsburgh (formerly known as the Boroughs of West Liberty and Beechview)." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1909, no. 375. Passed Oct. 14, 1909; approved Oct. 20, 1909. Ordinance Book 20, p. 614. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 146–150, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 11, 1909, p. 8 (Newspapers.com 86421216), and Nov. 12, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86421491). [view source] ordinance-1909-375
- "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source] ordinance-1914-402
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 66. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan