Notes:Morewood Avenue

From Pittsburgh Streets

To do

  • Barton opposing opening of street:,
  • Source:Berg: "Bernard Rafferty bought the lot in 1884 in two parts, one a small sliver from Josephine E. and Edmund Morewood Ferguson (1838-1904). Ferguson, who was born in New York, moved to Fayette County, PA, to manufacture coke. He resettled in Pittsburgh, where he and his brother became partners with Henry Clay Frick in his original coal-to-coke operation, manufacturing coke in Connellsville and selling it to the thriving steel businesses in Western PA. Ferguson, described in his 1904 obituary as a capitalist and a 'heavy buyer of real estate,' married Josephine Mackintosh of Pittsburgh and built a mansion across the street from the present-day Freehof Hall, naming the street Morewood for his family."
  • Edmund Morewood Ferguson obituaries:,