Notes:Greenfield Avenue

From Pittsburgh Streets
  • Source:Kussart, p. 10: "James Blackmore became Mayor of Pittsburgh in 1872, and served until 1875. During his administration, Wm. Barker, Jr., who then lived in this district, and was a member of city Councils, was one of a committee appointed to consider the opening of streets and other matters pertaining to the district. While the committee was making a tour of inspection, Mr. Barker was asked what he thought a suitable name for the district. He looked out over the green fields, dotted here and there with many comfortable farm houses and the handsome residences of wealthy business men, and suggested the name 'Greenfield.' It met with instant favor, and was adopted. The name is still given to this section of the city, although the beautiful green fields of this one-time rural community have long since disappeared."
  • Source:Pna-greenfield, p. 1: "Greenfield received its name in the 1870's when William Barker, Jr., resident and member of city council had responsibility for opening up streets in the area. During an official committee's tour, Barker was asked to recommend a name for the place. Impressed by the farmland and wealthy residences, he suggested Greenfield."
  • Source:Kulina, pp. 62–63: "The more settled part of [Squirrel Hill] now contained not only Turner's log cabins, the church and the school, but also mansions and farms and newly built little miners' cottages. To become a community of their own, they would need their own name. William Barker, Jr., a member of City Council who lived along a stream that emptied into Four Mile Run, was asked to christen the town. He called it Greenfield."
  • Source:Regan, p. 42: "Greenfield was named by City Councilman William Barker, Jr. in the 1870s to honor the many lush green fields in the area."