|Origin of name||Lyndhurst Green, the park, in turn named for Lyndhurst, the estate of William and Mary C. Thaw|
|Dewey Lane (1899–1906)|
|Origin of name||George Dewey|
The street named Lyndhurst Green is named for the triangular park at the intersection of Beechwood Boulevard and Reynolds Street, also named Lyndhurst Green, of which the street forms the southern boundary.
The park was dedicated by Mary C. Thaw to the City of Pittsburgh in 1895, with the provision that Thaw reserved the right to name the new street at the southern end. The street was named Dewey Lane in 1899, likely in honor of George Dewey (1837–1917), who the year before had commanded the American Asiatic Squadron in their decisive defeat of the Spanish Pacific Squadron in the Battle of Manila Bay, the first battle of the Spanish–American War.
The name of the street was changed to Lyndhurst Green in 1906.
Lyndhurst Green takes the name of Lyndhurst, the mansion built by William Thaw, Sr. (1818–1889), Mary's husband, in 1888 or 1889. It stood where Lyndhurst Drive is today. The Thaw mansion was in turn named for another mansion named Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, New York, built by Alexander Jackson Davis and purchased by Jay Gould in 1880. The Pittsburgh Lyndhurst was demolished in 1944.
- "Dedication of Lyndhurst Green by Mary C. Thaw to the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city dedication, 1895, no. 463. Signed and sealed May 27, 1895; notarized June 6, 1895; read, accepted and approved in Councils May 27, 1895; approved by mayor June 4, 1895. Ordinance Book 10, p. 315. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1895–6, appendix, pp. 24–25, H. W. Juergen & Co., Pittsburgh (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1895). [view source] dedication-1895-463
- "An ordinance giving the name of 'Dewey lane' to an unnamed fifty-foot street as laid out and dedicated to public use by Mary C. Thaw." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1899, no. 209. Passed Sept. 25, 1899; approved Sept. 27, 1899. Ordinance Book 12, p. 536. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Common Council of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1899–1900, appendix, p. 69, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1900 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecordcommon1899). [view source] ordinance-1899-209
- "An ordinance changing the name of Dewey lane in the Twenty-second ward, between Beechwood avenue and Reynolds street, to 'Lyndhurst Green.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1906, no. 130. Passed June 25, 1906; approved June 26, 1906. Ordinance Book 17, p. 608. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the year 1906–1907, appendix, p. 54, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1907 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1906). [view source] ordinance-1906-130
- Melanie Linn Gutowski. Pittsburgh's Mansions, cover, pp. , 22–26. Images of America. Arcadia Publishing, Charleston, S. C., 2013, ISBN 978-1-4671-2015-9. LCCN 2013931868. [view source] gutowski
- Franklin Toker. Pittsburgh: A new portrait, pp. 300–301. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-8229-4371-6. LCCN 2009022903. [view source] toker-new
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 1, plate 32. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. view source] hopkins-1904-vol-1 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [