|Origin of name||The country Canada; modification of earlier name Cana|
|Charles Alley (until 1906)|
|Cana Alley (1906–1910)|
This alley appears as Charles Alley in the 1904 Hopkins atlas. Its name was changed to Cana Alley in 1906. In 1910, over 900 streets were renamed in order to fix duplicates; there was another Cana Alley in Crafton Heights, so this alley was renamed Canada Alley. The name was clearly influenced by its previous name, Cana. The final change to Canada Way came in 1914, when a city ordinance changed all alleys to ways.
Bob Regan includes "Canada" in a list of streets named for countries.
- Real Estate Plat-Book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 2, plate 21. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. view source] hopkins-1904-vol-2 ; included in the 1903–1906 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing and establishing the names of avenues, streets and alleys in the Forty-first ward of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1906, no. 209. Passed Sept. 10, 1906; approved Sept. 13, 1906. Ordinance Book 18, p. 27. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the year 1906–1907, appendix, p. 84, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1907 (Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1906). [view source] ordinance-1906-209
- Atlas of Greater Pittsburgh, plate 20. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1910. view source] hopkins-1910 ; 1910 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715
- "An ordinance changing the name 'Alley' on every thoroughfare in the City of Pittsburgh, to 'Way.'" Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1914, no. 402. Passed Nov. 10, 1914; approved Nov. 16, 1914. Ordinance Book 26, p. 360. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Nov. 23, 1914, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 86505785), and Nov. 24, p. 12 (Newspapers.com 86505809). [view source] ordinance-1914-402
- Bob Regan. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names, p. 64. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5. [view source] regan