|Neighborhoods||Polish Hill, Strip District|
|Origin of name||T. J. Brereton|
It is named for Captain T. J. Brereton, who lived on the street for many years. He graduated from West Point in 1843 and was the commander at the Allegheny Arsenal before the outbreak of the Civil War, when he began drills for what became Company K of the the Twelfth Pennsylvania Volunteers.
- Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, p. 43. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872. view source] hopkins-1872 ; 1872 layer at Pittsburgh Historic Maps ( ). [
- "An ordinance establishing the names of avenues, streets, lanes and alleys of the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1881, no. 33. Passed Feb. 28, 1881; approved Mar. 4, 1881. Ordinance Book 5, p. 212. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the Select and Common Councils of the City of Pittsburgh, for the year 1880, pp. 213–234, Herald Printing Co., Pittsburgh, 1881 (Internet Archive pghmunicipalrecord1880). [view source] ordinance-1881-33
- George T. Fleming. "Old Penn Street, Pittsburgh: Further extracts from Mrs. Gormly's reminiscences of her childhood—the warm poliitcs [sic] of 1860—the guns that did not go south; the Prince of Wales' visit opportune: When the Civil War burst upon us—the drills in Neville Hall—the elite city guards—the three-months' men of 1861—some noted Pittsburgh soldiers—roster of the guards." Pittsburgh Gazette Times, Feb. 26, 1922, fifth section, [p. 2]. Newspapers.com 85414580. [view source] fleming-old-penn-7
- "An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh." Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. In Municipal Record: Minutes of the proceedings of the [Select and Common Councils] of the City of Pittsburgh for the years 1909–1910, appendix, pp. 312–328, Devine & Co., Pittsburgh, 1910 (Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ; Internet Archive Pghmunicipalrecord1909). Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625). [view source] ordinance-1910-715