Walter T. Kamprad. "John Ormsby, Pittsburgh's original citizen." Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, vol. 23, no. 4, Dec. 1940, pp. 203–222..
Today's visitors may still see traces of John Ormsby in that section of the city. Streets bearing such names as Mary, Josephine, Jane, Sarah, Sidney, and Wharton received their titles from members of Ormsby's family. At one time many more streets were thus named for Ormsby's relatives but have since been changed. Oliver Street has been changed to South Sixth; Gregg, to Seventh; Ormsby, to Thirteenth; Joseph, to Nineteenth; John, to Twentieth; Page, to Twenty-second; Phillip, to Twenty-third; and Caroline, to Twenty-fourth.19 Ormsby Park remains to the present day. The surveys of some of these lands name the original patents. We find Barry Hall with 269 acres; Mount Oliver, 294 acres; Bergen Op Zoom, 370 acres; and Ormsby's Villa, 345 acres.20 The records of Allegheny County disclose the fact that the section of Pittsburgh known as Mount Oliver received its name from Oliver, the son of John Ormsby, and not from the prominent Oliver family of Pittsburgh, as many people have been led to believe.
. . .
19 From a typewritten account of the holdings of John Ormsby, in the files of the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. This is based on records of Allegheny County and was written by S. H. McKee.
20 Pennsylvania, Department of Internal Affairs, Warrantee Atlas of Allegheny County, 17 (1914).. . .