Named for William Wilkins (1779–1865), third president judge of the Court of Common Pleas (1820–1824). He succeeded Samuel Roberts, after whom Roberts Street is named, and was followed by Charles Shaler, eponym of Shaler Street.[1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9] Wilkins’ second wife was Matilda Dallas, who may be the eponym of Dallas Avenue.[4, 7, 8] See also Bates Street.
See also 24th Street, which was originally called Wilkins Street.
Carlin, Margaret. “How our streets got their names.” Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 6, 1966, Pittsburgh’s Family Magazine, p. 10. Newspapers.com 149098376.
Lambing, A. A., and White, J. W. F. Allegheny County: Its Early History and Subsequent Development. Snowden & Peterson, Pittsburgh, 1888, pp. 103–104, 119. Google Books 6bY-AAAAYAAJ; HathiTrust 008957728, 100693049; Historic Pittsburgh 00aee8946m; Internet Archive centennialhistor00lamb; LCCN 18008828.
Ibid., p. 104.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, p. 34. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
Regan, Bob. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, p. 61. ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5.
Ibid., p. 66.
Thomas, Lillian. “City plays the name game.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mar. 26, 2001, pp. C-5, C-8. Newspapers.com 90410524, 90410540; http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20010326streetnamesreg6.asp.
Wilson, Erasmus, ed. Standard History of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. H. R. Cornell & Co., Chicago, 1898. Google Books 1dcwAQAAMAAJ.