Named for Jacob Frederick Slagle (1830–1900), associate judge of the Court of Common Pleas (1887–1900). He rose to the rank of major in the 149th Pennsylvania Regiment of Volunteers in the American Civil War.[5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13]
There is no Slagle Street today. The G. M. Hopkins plat map of 1890 shows a Slagle Street running for one block from Howe Street to Walnut Street, between Shady Avenue and Denniston Avenue (now Denniston Street). The street still appears, unnamed, on the 1899 plat map, next to the Hotel Kenmawr. But the street is gone from the plat map of 1904. In 1915 George T. Fleming mentioned Slagle Street in a newspaper column about military namesakes, and in 1924 Annie Clark Miller included Slagle Street in a list of streets named after judges, but the street seems to have disappeared years before. It is not listed in the 1947 Bloom’s Street Guide. It existed formally until it was vacated by a city ordinance in April 1950, upon recommendation of a report by James S. Devlin, director of the Department of Public Works, who wrote, “This street is unsuited for development of the abutting properties and is of no value to the general public.”[3, 8] Today the site is occupied by the Kenmawr Apartments; the north–south axis of the apartment building lies directly atop the path of the old Slagle Street.
Atlas of the city of Pittsburgh, vol. 4. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1890. http://historicpittsburgh.org/maps-hopkins/1890-volume-4-atlas-pittsburgh; included in the 1890 layer at http://esriurl.com/pittsburgh.
Bloom’s Street Guide and Transportation Directory of Pittsburgh and Important Suburbs: Showing streets in the City of Pittsburgh, cross streets, range of street numbers . . . also streets in Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, Swissvale, Bellevue, Avalon, Emsworth, Ben Avon, Crafton, Ingram, Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Mt. Oliver, Brentwood . . . complete street car and motor bus service available to all nearby boroughs and towns. Steel City Publishing Co., Pittsburgh, 1947.
“Council passes 12 ordinances: Works projects, machinery voted.” Pittsburgh Press, Apr. 11, 1950, p. 6. Newspapers.com 142153843.
Fleming, George T. “Names recall Civil War heroes: Soldiers of national and local fame well commemorated in Pittsburgh: Battles also live.” Pittsburgh Gazette Times, May 30, 1915, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85758872.
Lambing, A. A., and White, J. W. F. Allegheny County: Its Early History and Subsequent Development. Snowden & Peterson, Pittsburgh, 1888, p. 119. Google Books 6bY-AAAAYAAJ; HathiTrust 008957728, 100693049; Historic Pittsburgh 00aee8946m; Internet Archive centennialhistor00lamb; LCCN 18008828.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, p. 34. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
“An ordinance vacating Slagle St., from Howe street to Walnut street.” Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1950, no. 185. Passed Apr. 10, 1950; approved Apr. 17, 1950. Ordinance Book 56, p. 522.
Real estate plat-book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 2. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1899. http://historicpittsburgh.org/maps-hopkins/1899-volume-2-plat-book-pittsburgh-east.
Real estate plat-book of the city of Pittsburgh, vol. 2. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1904. http://historicpittsburgh.org/maps-hopkins/1904-volume-2-plat-book-pittsburgh.
Regan, Bob. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, p. 61. ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5.
The Twentieth Century Bench and Bar of Pennsylvania, vol. 2. H. C. Cooper, Jr., Bro. & Co., Chicago, 1903. Google Books JkRGAQAAMAAJ.
Wilson, Erasmus, ed. Standard History of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. H. R. Cornell & Co., Chicago, 1898. Google Books 1dcwAQAAMAAJ.