Neighborhood: Central Business District
Point Alley ran from Penn Avenue to Duquesne Way (today’s Fort Duquesne Boulevard) on the south bank of the Allegheny River, just to the west of the Fort Pitt Block House.[1, 3, 4] It was very near the Point, after which it was named (along with the nearby Point Street, which later became First Street and then Fort Street). Point Alley was vacated by a city ordinance in 1901, which triggered a protest and legal battle from the Daughters of the American Revolution, to whom Mary Schenley had deeded the Block House. See Fort Street for the story of the fight to save the Block House.
The cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny, with parts of adjacent boroughs, Pennsylvania. J. H. Colton & Co., New York, 1855. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0089; 1855 layer at http://esriurl.com/pittsburgh.
Cridlebaugh, Bruce S. “Field notes: Changing Pittsburgh street names—from downtown to Lawrenceville.” Pghbridges.com: Bridges & tunnels of Allegheny County & Pittsburgh, PA, Feb. 9, 2000. http://pghbridges.com/articles/fieldnote_pghstnames.htm.
McGowin, R. E. Pittsburgh: Engraved from R. E. McGowin’s map for Geo. H. Thurston. Wm. Schuchman & Bro., Pittsburgh, 1856. Historic Pittsburgh DARMAP0091.
Real estate plat-book of the City of Pittsburgh, vol. 3. G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1900. http://historicpittsburgh.org/maps-hopkins/1900-volume-3-plat-book-pittsburgh.