Named for Christopher Gist (1706–1759), an early explorer, frontiersman, and surveyor, who provided the British with the first written description of the Forks of the Ohio. He accompanied George Washington on his 1753 expedition to deliver a letter from Virginia lieutenant governor Robert Dinwiddie (eponym of Dinwiddie Street) to the commandant of the French forces on the Ohio demanding their departure.[1, 2, 3]
Carlin, Margaret. “How our streets got their names.” Pittsburgh Press, Feb. 6, 1966, Pittsburgh’s Family Magazine, p. 10. Newspapers.com 149098376.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, pp. 10–11. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
Washington, George. The Journal of Major George Washington: Sent by the Hon. Robert Dinwiddie, Esq; His Majesty’s Lieutenant-Governor, and Commander in Chief of Virginia, to the commandant of the French forces on Ohio; to which are added, the governor’s letter, and a translation of the French officer’s answer. William Hunter, Williamsburg, 1754. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/etas/33/.