Pittsburgh Streets

Galveston Avenue

Neighborhoods: Allegheny West, Central Northside

Formerly Grant Street, named for Ulysses S. Grant (1822–1885), Union general during the American Civil War and eighteenth President of the United States. Renamed Galveston Avenue, after Galveston, Texas, when Allegheny was annexed by the City of Pittsburgh because of the naming conflict with Grant Street downtown; the new name is unrelated to the old except that they both begin with G.[1]

References

[1]Fleming, George T. “Names recall Civil War heroes: Soldiers of national and local fame well commemorated in Pittsburgh: Battles also live.” Pittsburgh Gazette Times, May 30, 1915, fifth section, p. 2. Newspapers.com 85758872.