Annie Clark Miller and Bob Regan include Bailey Avenue in a list of streets named after judges,[3, 4] which implies that the street is named for John H. Bailey (1830–1897), associate judge of the Court of Common Pleas (1877–1887).[1, 2, 5, 6]
Lambing, A. A., and White, J. W. F. Allegheny County: Its Early History and Subsequent Development. Snowden & Peterson, Pittsburgh, 1888, p. 119. Google Books 6bY-AAAAYAAJ; HathiTrust 008957728, 100693049; Historic Pittsburgh 00aee8946m; Internet Archive centennialhistor00lamb; LCCN 18008828.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, p. 34. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
Regan, Bob. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, p. 61. ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5.
The Twentieth Century Bench and Bar of Pennsylvania, vol. 2. H. C. Cooper, Jr., Bro. & Co., Chicago, 1903. Google Books JkRGAQAAMAAJ.
Wilson, Erasmus, ed. Standard History of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. H. R. Cornell & Co., Chicago, 1898. Google Books 1dcwAQAAMAAJ.