Named for Queen Alliquippa (d. 1754), leader of a band of the Seneca people. She met with George Washington at the mouth of the Youghiogheny, near present-day McKeesport, in December 1753 during Washington’s return from Fort Le Boeuf.[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
DeLaney, James K. “Spectres of past haunt Pittsburgh’s corner signposts: Street names ‘pennants of tribute.’” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Mar. 30, 1967, Daily Magazine, [p. 1]. Newspapers.com 88235360.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, p. 7. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
Regan, Bob. The Names of Pittsburgh: How the city, neighborhoods, streets, parks and more got their names. The Local History Company, Pittsburgh, 2009, p. 62. ISBN 978-0-9770429-7-5.
“Street names sketch history of city: Tribute to many pioneers dimmed by time.” Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 26, 1936, anniversary section IV, p. 16. Newspapers.com 88921069.
Washington, George. The Journal of Major George Washington: Sent by the Hon. Robert Dinwiddie, Esq; His Majesty’s Lieutenant-Governor, and Commander in Chief of Virginia, to the commandant of the French forces on Ohio; to which are added, the governor’s letter, and a translation of the French officer’s answer. William Hunter, Williamsburg, 1754. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/etas/33/.