Neighborhood: Central Business District
Seventh Street was originally named Irwin Street, after John Irwin (see Irwin Avenue).[2, 4, 6] This was one of the original streets of Pittsburgh, dating back to George Woods’ plan of 1784, between St. Clair Street (today’s Sixth Street) to the west and Hand Street (today’s Ninth Street) to the east. (Today’s Eighth Street was an unlabeled alley in this plan.)
In 1868, Pittsburgh’s modern sequence of numbered streets was created by renaming all the streets perpendicular to the Allegheny River; Irwin Street became Seventh Street.[1, 5, 9]
After the annexation of the city of Allegheny in 1907, it was renamed again to Sandusky Street by a 1910 ordinance to match the name of the corresponding street on the North Side.[3, 8] It was changed back to Seventh Street in 1915.
Irwin Street was sometimes called Irvine Street. This name came from William Irvine, commandant of Fort Pitt from 1781 to 1783.
Cridlebaugh, Bruce S. “Field notes: Changing Pittsburgh street names—from downtown to Lawrenceville.” Pghbridges.com: Bridges & tunnels of Allegheny County & Pittsburgh, PA, Feb. 9, 2000. http://pghbridges.com/articles/fieldnote_pghstnames.htm.
Fleming, George T. “Our revolutionary sires: Additional biographies of Pittsburgh soldiers of the Revolution—John Irwin, Stephen Bayard, George Wallace, the Guthrie brothers and Adamson Tannehill—graphic story of Capt. Irwin’s services—his narrow escape from death at Paoli massacre: Lists of soldiers of Revolution reprinted from D. A. R. Magazine—Allegheny County’s list added to—Butler County patriots enumerated—‘Mackeys’ distinguished—James Mackaye and Aeneas Mackay—turbulent times of notorious Connolly.” Pittsburgh Gazette Times, May 11, 1924, fifth section, p. 6. Newspapers.com 85854858.
Fleming, George T., ed. Pittsburgh: How to see it: A complete, reliable guide book with illustrations, the latest map and complete index. William G. Johnston Co., Pittsburgh, 1916, p. 47. Google Books 02NAAAAAYAAJ; Internet Archive bub_gb_02NAAAAAYAAJ.
Killikelly, Sarah H. The History of Pittsburgh: Its rise and progress. B. C. & Gordon Montgomery Co., Pittsburgh, 1906, p. 534. DonsList.net HistPgh1909M; Google Books kXmloex-vr8C, poRU0YjqrzsC; HathiTrust 100122020; Historic Pittsburgh 00adc8925m; Internet Archive historyofpittsbu00kill, historypittsbur00killgoog.
Miller, Annie Clark. Early Land Marks and Names of Old Pittsburgh: An address delivered before the Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution at Carnegie Institute, Nov. 30, 1923. Pittsburgh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, 1924, p. 23. Historic Pittsburgh 00awn8211m; Internet Archive earlylandmarksna00mill.
“An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets and ways in the City of Pittsburgh.” Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1915, no. 117. Passed Apr. 28, 1915; approved Apr. 29, 1915. Ordinance Book 26, p. 615. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, May 8, 1915, p. 15 (Newspapers.com 88028802), and May 10, p. 11 (Newspapers.com 88030672).
“An ordinance changing the names of certain avenues, streets, lanes and alleys in the City of Pittsburgh.” Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1910, no. 715. Passed Mar. 31, 1910; approved Apr. 5, 1910. Ordinance Book 21, p. 342. Google Books doQzAQAAMAAJ. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Post, Apr. 19, 1910, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86611990, 86612022), Apr. 20, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612278, 86612297), and Apr. 21, pp. 10–11 (Newspapers.com 86612601, 86612625).
“An ordinance changing the names of streets.” Pittsburgh city ordinance, 1868. Passed Aug. 31, 1868. Reprinted in the Pittsburgh Gazette, Sept. 2, 1868, p. 5 (Newspapers.com 86347563), Sept. 3, p. 3 (Newspapers.com 86347623), and Sept. 4, p. 3 (Newspapers.com 86347714).
Woods, George. A draught of the town plat of Pittsburgh, surveyed for John Penn, Jr., and John Penn, by George Woods, May 31st 1784. 1784. Reproduced as “Original plan of Pittsburgh” in plate 19 of Atlas of the cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the adjoining boroughs, G. M. Hopkins & Co., Philadelphia, 1872 (Historic Pittsburgh 1872p019).